Photo Durham Logo - Link to Home Page

Friday, May 14, 2010

Tiger Centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha)

Out near the Oregon coast as I was working on photographing steelhead, I ran into this little fellow. Quick and fierce looking, and with a red warning color as a bonus, I wasn't sure how well it would tolerate me trying to grab a few shots. 

Not too well really. It didn't like the light, and especially didn't like to be out on the rocks since it seemed to prefer a subterranean existence.

I did manage to coax back into a spot where I could get a clear image, and it helpfully paused to groom its antenna. Even so, I had seconds to grab these before it disappeared again.

tiger centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha)
tiger centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha), also known as the red centipede.

tiger centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha)
legs of a red centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Details About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
Husband, Father, Student Of Natural History, Photographer