Photo Durham Logo - Link to Home Page

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Dancing Bluet

Current folder of Images I am editing: Damselflies. These are such delicate little insects, and so colorful. I usually spot them hovering close to the ground in close vicinity to water. Just a little strip of blue zipping around in the sun. (Actually, they come in a variety of shapes and colors, but blue is the most common). I photographed these close to Camp Creek on the Nature Conservancy's Zumwalt Prairie Preserve in July.

There are hundreds of species in the U.S., dozens in the Pacific Northwest, and many look alike. However, I narrowed down these two individuals to Argia vivida, or Vivid Dancer. The male is blue, the female is pale.

Photographed with a high-speed camera. You can see a little more about the process here: http://www.oregonwild.com/High-Speed1.V.html




4 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

good picture

OregonWild said...

James

Thanks for the kind comment!

Cheers

Michael D

Shamana said...

I can't believe my eyes! Did you really shoot them in flight? I can hardly capture a dragonfly on a decent background and now I see this...:)

OregonWild said...

Nina

I did capture the damselflies in flight. It is not easy, and i can literally spend 6 or seven hours just trying to get the shot. Also, I use some very custom equipment.

Thanks for the nice comment

Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Details About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
Husband, Father, Student Of Natural History, Photographer