Photo Durham Logo - Link to Home Page

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Southeastern Myotis (Myotis austroriparius)

When people hear that I work with bats frequently, they usually assume that I have to go into a lot of caves. And while bats are often cave dwellers, they are also at home in a variety of other habitats. 


For instance, below a southeastern myotis emerges from a tree hollow in Central Texas at dusk.


Myotis austroriparius
Southeastern Myotis (Myotis austroriparius) emerging from tree hollow


southeastern myotis
Southeastern Myotis (Myotis austroriparius) detail


Bats are usually content to find a tiny place they can squeeze into, where southern exposure keeps the environment warm and they feel safe.


southeastern myotis (Myotis austroriparius)
Southeastern Myotis (Myotis austroriparius)

1 comment:

Mermaiden said...

Wow, your whole blog just takes my breath away. I am blown away. :) I couldn't leave a comment on all my favorites or I'd be here all afternoon! I do very much adore these awesome bat shots, though.

Blog Archive

Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Details About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
Husband, Father, Student Of Natural History, Photographer