A few posts back I mentioned the carrion beetle (Nicrophorus carolinensis). In keeping with the theme of parasites*, I am sharing another view of the same beetle with a detailed view of a few extra passengers.
carrion beetle (Nicrophorus carolinensis)
Watching the beetle, I could see the little white mites skittering across the beetle as it walked and flew about. It must be quite a ride for the little insects. Below is a detailed view of the same image with the mite clearly visible on the neck, and few more on the chest. It would roughly be equivalent of having a full size crab wandering around on a human.
carrion beetle (Nicrophorus carolinensis) detail with mites
I posted these images to Flickr for hosting here, and a fellow Flickr alaskanent user posted this comment:
Nice shot! The mites are not parasitic however. They are mutualistic in some cases (beneficial) and in others commensalistic (the mites benefit but the beetles are neither harmed nor helped) and only in rare cases do they actually qualify as parasites. The mites eat fly eggs, thus cleaning carcasses of competitors so there is more food for the beetles.
- Coffee Beans (Coffea Arabica)
- Clean Energy – Leaf And Water
- Parastic Fly (Pyrgota undata)
- Southeastern Myotis (Myotis austroriparius)
- Southern Leopard Frog (Rana sphenocephala)
- Vietnamese Mossy Frog (Theloderma corticale)
- How George Costanza Dresses: Morning Mist
- Colorful Wasp (Sphex habenus)
- Ornate Ichneumon Wasp (Thyreodon sp.)
- Black And Yellow Mud Dauber Wasp (Sceliphron caeme...
- Great Golden Digger Wasp (Sphex ichneumoneus)
- Skate Face (Raja rhina)
- Pollen Detail Of White Trillium (trillium Ovatum)
- White Trillium (trillium Ovatum)
- Winter Forest
- Oak and Palmetto Forest
- Pacific Madrone Tree (Arbutus menziesii)
- Grasshawk Dragonfly (Neurothemis fluctuans)
- Termites In The Air (Reticulitermes flavipes)
- Canyon Bat (Parastrellus hesperus) – What's In A N...
- Bat Bug
- More Fun With Parasites
- Vivid Dancer Damselfly With Passengers
- Fan Palm (Livistona endauensis)
- Photography As Adventure
- Aimless Shooting
- Ancient Elk In Rock Art
- Elk Living, Elk Dying
- Elk Predator
- Elk Calf (Cervus canadensis nelsoni)
- ▼ March (31)
- ► 2008 (19)
- ► 2007 (15)