This abandoned road is just barely visible from I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge. You can just catch tantalizing glimpses of it as you speed around the curves near Arlington. Years ago, I impulsively decided to stop and take a look. It required circling back around and finding a good place to stop along the freeway (there aren't really any good places to stop).
It appears to be part of the old highway system that was used before I-84 was built, and it has a very interesting ambiance.
abandoned highway, oregon
I was never very happy with the images from that day. The light and time of day was wrong, and I was worried about getting a ticket from the Highway Patrol. This was not conducive to good image making.
Not long ago, I visited the same area again. Again, the light was wrong. But I still think the location is really interesting visually.
overgrown, abandoned highway.
The prairie grass and brush are slowly taking over the old asphalt road. It might be many more decades before it is completely covered.
- Urban Wildlife - European Brown Rat (Rattus norveg...
- Urban Ant - Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex sp.)
- Spotted Bat (Euderma maculatum)
- Northern Yellow Bat (Lasiurus intermedius)
- Mexican Brown Bat (Myotis velifer)
- La Plata Three-Banded Armadillo (Tolypeutes matacu...
- Barred Rock Chicks (Gallus gallus domesticus)
- Green Bottle Fly
- Funny Face Grasshopper
- Salmonberry River
- Bad Luck With Salmon
- Coyotes In The Neighborhood
- Skipping Rocks
- Western Juniper Tree (juniperus occidentalis) At N...
- Bushy-Tailed Woodrat (Neotoma cinerea)
- Rusting Metal Tank
- Abandoned Tanker Truck
- Abandoned Highway
- Common Raven (Corvus corax)
- From Ocean Depths To The Backyard
- Lambing Season
- King Vulture (Sarcoramphus papa) Tropical Color 4
- Military Macaw (Ara militaris) Tropical Color 3
- Gaudy frogs - Tropical Color 2
- Mouthless Crab (Gecarcinus quadratus) Tropical Col...
- Seeds On The Wind
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Ovipos...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Versio...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii)
- Pollen Detail Of White Trillium (trillium Ovatum) ...
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2008 (19)
- ► 2007 (15)