Photo Durham Logo - Link to Home Page

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Skipping Rocks

I have been teaching my daughter how to skip rocks at Tryon Creek. The location is not ideal, but there are  lots fabulous flat rocks to skip across the water. I spent hours of my youth perfecting my technique - mostly in the calm bays off of Shaw Island in the San Juans. Practice makes perfect, and these days I can usually skip a single stone seven or eight times.


I spent many hours not long ago trying to photograph a rock just skimming the water's surface. The trick here was to get the rock to land in the camera's narrow zone of focus. And getting to hit the water at just the right angle...


splashing rock
rock splashing


skipping rock
rock splashing


skipping rock
rock skipping

No comments:

Blog Archive

Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Details About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
Husband, Father, Student Of Natural History, Photographer