For years I have hiked out to various waterfalls when the salmon jump, and spent many hours trying catch a shot of a salmon in mid-jump. The timing of this is always precarious because water flow, water temperature, air temperature can all encourage, or discourage, the fish from jumping.
When they start, you can get multiple fish jumping multiple times a minute. I have never seen this despite my diligence. My recent trip to the salmonberry was no exception. It was a long journey through the coast range of Oregon (made longer by making a wrong turn in a maze of logging roads) followed by a hike through rough terrain, and then an awkward climb down a steep slope into the canyon where the waterfall is located.
The fish were jumping, but it could be 10 or 15 minutes between jumps. Bummer. I would sit at attention with my hand on the camera release – but you can only do that for so long before you start to get distracted and impatient. I could never quite nail the timing. It was a glorious day, and fun trip - but nothing much came of it.
I rarely post rejects - but here ya go.
- Urban Wildlife - European Brown Rat (Rattus norveg...
- Urban Ant - Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex sp.)
- Spotted Bat (Euderma maculatum)
- Northern Yellow Bat (Lasiurus intermedius)
- Mexican Brown Bat (Myotis velifer)
- La Plata Three-Banded Armadillo (Tolypeutes matacu...
- Barred Rock Chicks (Gallus gallus domesticus)
- Green Bottle Fly
- Funny Face Grasshopper
- Salmonberry River
- Bad Luck With Salmon
- Coyotes In The Neighborhood
- Skipping Rocks
- Western Juniper Tree (juniperus occidentalis) At N...
- Bushy-Tailed Woodrat (Neotoma cinerea)
- Rusting Metal Tank
- Abandoned Tanker Truck
- Abandoned Highway
- Common Raven (Corvus corax)
- From Ocean Depths To The Backyard
- Lambing Season
- King Vulture (Sarcoramphus papa) Tropical Color 4
- Military Macaw (Ara militaris) Tropical Color 3
- Gaudy frogs - Tropical Color 2
- Mouthless Crab (Gecarcinus quadratus) Tropical Col...
- Seeds On The Wind
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Ovipos...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Versio...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii)
- Pollen Detail Of White Trillium (trillium Ovatum) ...
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2008 (19)
- ► 2007 (15)