Photo Durham Logo - Link to Home Page

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bad Luck With Salmon

For years I have hiked out to various waterfalls when the salmon jump, and spent many hours trying catch a shot of a salmon in mid-jump. The timing of this is always precarious because water flow, water temperature, air temperature can all encourage, or discourage, the fish from jumping.


When they start, you can get multiple fish jumping multiple times a minute. I have never seen this despite my diligence. My recent trip to the salmonberry was no exception. It was a long journey through the coast range of Oregon (made longer by making a wrong turn in a maze of logging roads) followed by a hike through rough terrain, and then an awkward climb down a steep slope into the canyon where the waterfall is located.


The fish were jumping, but it could be 10 or 15 minutes between jumps. Bummer. I would sit at attention with my hand on the camera release – but you can only do that for so long before you start to get distracted and impatient. I could never quite nail the timing. It was a glorious day, and fun trip - but nothing much came of it.


I rarely post rejects - but here ya go.


41910Sth-117

No comments:

Blog Archive

Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Details About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
Husband, Father, Student Of Natural History, Photographer