I recently purchased a new laser trigger system to use in high-speed photography – it is considerably more advanced than the old laser system I was using.
When the asian fruit flies (from yesterday's post) were delivered to my home studio, I had just a few hours to get a number of technically challenging photographs including high-speed shots of the flies in flight. I have been doing this for years, but setting up this system is not easy, and I can spend five hours or more just getting everything calibrated and running.
Adding to this particular challenge is the scale of a fruit fly. They are little specks when viewed with the naked eye. And they are incredibly fast. As one moves down in scale, the technical challenged of focus, speed, and trigger response become acute.
The StopShot laser system, built by Paul DeZeeuw made several of my technical challenges much easier to deal with, and I was able to nail some high-speed shots of the fruit flies in action. I was up till 2AM getting the shots, but I made the deadline.
A female spotted wing fruit fly (Drosophila suzukii) approaching a fresh strawberry
A male spotted wing fruit fly (Drosophila suzukii) approaching a fresh strawberry.
- Urban Wildlife - European Brown Rat (Rattus norveg...
- Urban Ant - Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex sp.)
- Spotted Bat (Euderma maculatum)
- Northern Yellow Bat (Lasiurus intermedius)
- Mexican Brown Bat (Myotis velifer)
- La Plata Three-Banded Armadillo (Tolypeutes matacu...
- Barred Rock Chicks (Gallus gallus domesticus)
- Green Bottle Fly
- Funny Face Grasshopper
- Salmonberry River
- Bad Luck With Salmon
- Coyotes In The Neighborhood
- Skipping Rocks
- Western Juniper Tree (juniperus occidentalis) At N...
- Bushy-Tailed Woodrat (Neotoma cinerea)
- Rusting Metal Tank
- Abandoned Tanker Truck
- Abandoned Highway
- Common Raven (Corvus corax)
- From Ocean Depths To The Backyard
- Lambing Season
- King Vulture (Sarcoramphus papa) Tropical Color 4
- Military Macaw (Ara militaris) Tropical Color 3
- Gaudy frogs - Tropical Color 2
- Mouthless Crab (Gecarcinus quadratus) Tropical Col...
- Seeds On The Wind
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Ovipos...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii) Versio...
- Spotted Wing Fruit Fly (Drosophila suzukii)
- Pollen Detail Of White Trillium (trillium Ovatum) ...
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2008 (19)
- ► 2007 (15)